First let’s start with the 1st Amendment and what that means in America.
- “U.S. Constitution from Cornell Law Education
The First Amendment guarantees freedoms concerning religion, expression, assembly, and the right to petition. It forbids Congress from both promoting one religion over others and also restricting an individual’s religious practices. It guarantees freedom of expression by prohibiting Congress from restricting the press or the rights of individuals to speak freely. It also guarantees the right of citizens to assemble peaceably and to petition their government.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.”
Which means here in a America there is NO supreme religion in any of the 50 states. ANYONE who talks down to you/ persecutes an innocent and good you in any way using their religion is stepping on your rights here in America, that is called discrimination / extremism / bigotry. All of those has NO place on our soil, yet we still have to fight against that on the main lands to keep people in their place and to help our country to grow as a positive cultural accepting place for ALL nations. Yes anyone can believe in whatever they want to believe. They can adopt different beliefs, deny different beliefs, they can completely deny religion as a whole. Yet anyone who persecutes you verbally or physically because you’re choosing what’s best for you is not only unpatriotic but also deserves condemnation. Which takes us to this list:
- Leave. Is it at a workplace? A church/ sanctuary? Leave those places. Your absence is a bolder step than you think. You’re leaving with your money, skills, & livelihood. This will help others to follow in your footsteps as a “WE DO NOT SUPPORT BIGOTRY” in every step that you take.
- Get the authorites involved. If you know or suspect a child is being abused or neglected because of an extremist faith via the child has come out to their parents or the child is sick or being verbally and physically assalted then call the authorities. No child deserves to be abused. Give them a chance at a better life, and get someone in there to pull them out of that abusive home. And no, God is not coming to “save them”, be a good responsible adult and take the right action.
- Go where they are and fight with good wit. A good example is this woman that had fought pro-life Christian extremists with an enduring homemade poster thanking Planned Parenthood for helping her with her yeast infections. Also a good way to fight off bigotted Christian street preachers is either to ignore them, tell them false prophets get thrown into the lake of fire, or tell them they are affecting their first amendment right to believe in whatever even if it’s nothing at all.
- Support good & wholesome churches, organizations, and societies. People who ACTUALLY DO GOOD THINGS for the goodness of mankind and our planet DESERVE OUR SUPPORT Anyone who has a transparent charity with good reviews, support them! Freedom From Religion Foundation has a great charity and also backing up organizations with a like wise mindset will help fight off all types of discrimination, like here in the Southern Poverty Law Center.
- For those in head of a religious or non- religious organization. Condemn those that claim that specific belief or non-belief when they behave badly. What you hear on the news about these overly zealous people or even down the street, someone & something has affected them with a very toxic belief. It is coming from somewhere and it is moreso yours and everyone’s responsibilty to correct them before they harm again, kill again, or assist in a suicide again.
I hope this inspires you to fight the good fight and win back the freedom that we all long and deserve. & Remember all good actions count no matter how small they may seem. Great things are here and on its way because of the people before us, with us, and in our future. And so I thank you all for the passion, drive, and solutions. Thank you.